Friday, April 30, 2010

New President: Kenroy Cherrington

Many people know him as that guy who says, "Vote for Kenroy!" by the escalator. People listened. Many people do know him though, for who he is and his values. What might it mean that he will be your new USG President?

I first met Kenroy in the fall of 2006 when I first came to CCNY, and it was in the NYPIRG office. My first impression was that this guy had no self consciousness at all and an unforgettable sense of humor. Because we were both in NYPIRG I know his deep knowledge on everything about TAP, financial aid and tuition, as well as everything else that they work on like the environment- but he also interned for the state assembly in Albany for a semester so he's been there to lobby for lower tuition and he's been there getting to know people from the inside, which could come to our advantage eventually.

He was the first person I've ever heard say "Oslat," as in, "I'm working for Oslat!" A while later I realized he and then others were talking about OSLLD, formerly known as Finley, now the Office of Student Life and Leadership Development. This is good experience for a president to have had, because he knows everything about OSLLD. Historically USG has had a sometimes adverse relationship with OSLLD so perhaps this will restore harmony with them.

He is a Political Science major. Mostly he talks about politics/current events, and whatever internship or project he has at the moment. He has been running for some time and now he is a senior, super experienced, president and I should say, when I met him in NYPIRG, someone else was there. Our current, CAC president, Irene Castro was there.

3 comments: